Tuesday, July 7, 2009

School Memorabilia

Throughout the school year, when my kids bring home a particularly special work of art or written work, I put their creation in a tote to save for them. Everything else goes in their drawer. Today I made a deal with my kids, ages, 12, 12, and 10. I’d do their chores, if they’d go through their drawer of school papers from the past year and pick out which they’d like to keep.

First, let me explain our tote concept. Each child has a tote labeled “Name’s Memorabilia”. This is for all their memorabilia for all of their school years. Their only guideline is they can’t keep more than can fit in the tote. We have gone through the totes once removing some items to make more room. Now they have gotten the idea of saving a few memorable pieces and tossing the rest.

We had a fun morning remembering events from the past year as they sorted through their drawer of papers. They each picked some items to keep and recycled the rest. The keepers then are moved to their totes and stored in the basement (humidity controlled) and their drawers are empty, ready for next school year’s work.

This is a routine we enjoy each year. It’s not only fun, it’s educational. My children are practicing decision making and learning to sort, prioritize, and set limits for themselves.

What are some ways you handle memorabilia?

No comments: