Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Garage Sale Purge

I'm not a fan of garage sales. There is a significant time investment with the chance of a small return. We had a neighborhood garage sale last weekend. I hadn't planned to participate. My children thought it would be great fun. They found several toys they could agree to sell, so I consented.

I needed to find some items I could get rid of. I checked closets, drawers, the attic & basement asking these questions:
  • When did I last use this?
  • Do I love it?
  • How many of these do I have and how many do I need?
  • Is the item in good condition? (I even threw out a few items that were worn.)

I came up with several items I could add to the sale. It wasn't a huge sale. We didn't make much money. Anything that didn't sell, I loaded up and dropped at a donation station. If I'd decided I didn't need these items anymore, there was no point taking them back into my home. I gained storage space, which made all the time worth it!

Does this mean I'll have more garage sales? No. I don't enjoy it. I will look at the belongings I'm storing with a more critical eye and donate those I don't love and use regularly. Purging belongings by deciding if they had more value in my home or in a garage sale worked well. In fact, yesterday I noticed some cookie cutters that I haven't used since last summer. Time to move those to my donation bin and make more room for the items I do use.

What helps you to purge no longer used items from your home?

No comments: