Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Setting Goals for GO Month

January is not only the time to make resolutions; it's also "GO (Get Organized) Month". Both of these events are about setting goals. How can these goals become new habits?

Create SMART Goals:

  • Specific: answer who, what, when, where, and why.
  • Measurable: quantify the goal.
  • Achievable: Is my goal possible? How much time do I need? Do I need help?
  • Relevant: I cannot control what the people around me do. Is my goal something within my control?
  • Time-Bound: note specific dates & times for small steps to be completed.

Here's an example of a SMART Goal: "I will organize my linen closet on this Saturday, beginning at 10:00 AM. Upon completion of this project, I will be able to locate belongings in this closet in less than 5 seconds."

Temptation is to jump in and get started on the project. Take the time to clarify your goal. By reminding yourself of your ultimate goal throughout the project, chances are more likely that you will indeed persevere to complete the project and reach your goal!

No comments: