Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"Perfectly" Organized

A few weeks ago, I was going to an organizing event with a fellow organizer. I’d printed out directions from MapQuest. My colleague had a GPS, so we used that instead. We were almost to our destination, when the charge on his GPS died. We tried to find the charger. It was not where he normally keeps it. Turns out, his son had taken it to the house to charge his phone. By this time, we were past the road listed on the MapQuest directions. We didn’t have the phone number of our destination, so couldn’t call for help. We resorted to a map, which I couldn’t read, because I don’t have bifocals. (I’m in denial that I’m to that age!) What a comical situation: two professional organizers totally unprepared! Between the map and my MapQuest directions, we eventually found our way. Forty-five minutes later, we made it to our destination!

Had we been “perfectly” organized, this situation wouldn’t have happened. Forget about being perfectly organized! It creates stress and is time consuming. “Livable” organization is the goal, being organized enough to find your belongings when wanted and having time to relax and enjoy those people and activities that are meaningful for you. Aim for livable organization, which creates peace and saves time.

No comments: