Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Our Throw-Away Mentality

I just watched a thought-provoking video at www.storyofstuff.com. According to the speaker, Annie Leonard, only one percent of products purchased are still in use six months later. Now, I realize statistics can be misleading. This statistic probably includes consumables like food and cleaning supplies. Yet, this does make me stop and think.

And so, I’m asking myself, “How much am I consuming and how fast am I consuming it?”

Every time a new item is purchased, you need to find a space for it. At some point, there is no more space and organizing the area is necessary. Limiting what comes into your home is the “green” thing to do, it saves money, and it makes organizing your space easier.

Take a look at what comes into and out of your household. Before purchasing, ask yourself, “Will I still be using this in six months?” “Do I already have an item that can serve this purpose?” “Can I rent or borrow this, instead of buying?” “Will I use this often?” “Do I absolutely love it and will I still enjoy this item next year?”

My resolve: I’m going to work on using less paper. What is one thing you can do to decrease your consumption?

No comments: